Friday, October 19, 2007

Another Terri Schiavo

My friend who I have written here now must be named. Sylvia Huttel. She has been in and out of a coma for 3 months. She has had moments - as late as last week where she has squeezed the hand of her former fiance and smiled when told about the antics of her 9 month old daughter.

Up until last week, Sylvia ex-fiance has been making all the medical decisions about her care. He has approved several brain surgeries, heart surgery, and leg reconstruction. He was told last week that the time had come to consider removing the machines that kept her alive. He has been struggling with what to do. No decision had been reached.

But this past weekend Sylvia's parents said that he would no longer be making any medical decisions. He would also no longer be able to visit her. They claimed he was a detriment to her. They washed their hands of their child many years ago - and suddenly now they have provided legal documents that they will be making all future medical decisions.

Today he was told to say goodbye as the machines are going to be turned off and her feeding tube removed.

I am now going from a sort of passive supporter of him doing what he thinks is best to deciding I must fight for the right of my friend Sylvia not to die of starvation and torture.

I don't know what I can do. But I am going to do my damnedest to prevent her from being tortured to death. Please contact me if you have any ideas for support. Please contact me if you are fluent in German and would help me research her rights under German law.

5 comments:

Ironsides said...

Are you in Germany? The husband should have some guts, and not let the parents kill her off.

This is not a time for law. This is a time to teach the rotten parents and doctors who has the right to die!--And who has the right to live!

The husband needs to make friends at a bar, with a few guys who are not too well behaved.

When push comes to shove, the husband needs to let his friends teach the parents and doctors, how to demonstrate their own right to die.

Susan said...

No, I don't live in Germany. But they do.

He can't do as you suggest. He has a 9 month old baby and can't risk losing her too.

Casdok said...

Sorry i cant help. But good on you!
Wishing you all the best.

Linda Edwards said...

Susan, have you contacted Not Dead Yet - they are very well connected around the world, and may have some suggestions. Here is the email address for Dianne Coleman:
ndycoleman@aol.com.
Please keep us posted.
Linda
FRIDA

Susan said...

Yes, I contacted Steve, Diane, and Gregor Wolring first. I have since contacted many others. Diane's mom is very ill and Steve is in DC at a conference.